Friday, December 09, 2005

As promised...

I've posted my thoughts on The River King at the forum. It's pretty long, so here's the relevant bit:

Need I say anything about JE? Of course she stood out. Of course I wanted more screen time. That, at least, was expected. Seriously though, I totally bought her as the caring teacher who’s unfulfilled by her relationship with her jerk of a fiancĂ©. Her best scene was when they converse on entirely different wavelengths over breakfast, I reckon. Have to add, she looked fabulous in this. I dig the short brown hair. And the natural accent goodness!

However, as Chelsea noted, the affair between Abel and Betsy wasn’t quite right. Sort of gratuitous. I didn’t really understand why these characters were attracted to each other, let alone falling into bed with each other. I think it was because you don’t really get that much background about them – Abel is shown as relationship-shy in one scene, and then soon after, he’s meant to be making puppy eyes at Betsy. The kiddies’ triangle was more fleshed out and more essential to the story.

No comments: