Tuesday, May 01, 1990

Kerry's report

So I went into the city the night before the play and stayed with a friend in Brooklyn. We woke up 5:30 AM and took a subway into the city. We got in line a little after 6:30 - I was fifth - which I thought was pretty cool. So basically it is really well run and everyone is just quite and sits in line. People watching is the main thing to do online. It's by a very busy part of the park. Some people show up in really nice clothes with nothing to sit on - which is dumb. The time really flew by and it turned out to be an amazing afternoon. They just hand out the tickets as the line walks by - you just say how many you want. I got fifth row dead center - very sweet. Then I had to putt around the park for another six hours waiting for the theater to open. I got a little sun, walked through the Met and played some hackey sac....

You can bring food and drinks in - just not in bottles - so we brought in some wine. The theater is really small but they won't let you take pictures inside or you get kicked out. The play was really fun, but Liev is definitely the shinning star. JE is good but she does totally talk WAY too fast. I couldn't keep up with her - especially having not read the play in 8 years. You basically get the idea of what the character is doing to her husband...

She is the only one that talks fast but some of the other actors deliver their lines without real feeling so I couldn't really grasp the concept of what they were saying. Because the language is kinda difficult. The witches were really good. I'm not sure which one - but she was definitely a show stopper she was so good. I saw her afterwards and just shouted out to her that she was really awesome and she was really nice and smiled and thanked me. I guess not a lot of people tell her that cause she seemed surprised....

Once the show was over there were maybe 40 people waiting for people to come out. But a lot were family members because by the time Liev came out - maybe after 10 -15 mins there were not a lot of people. Once he biked off there were only a few people waiting for JE. Then the lady that ran the line came out and said that the dressing rooms were empty and my heart broke into a thousand little pieces lol.... After which I had a two hour journey back to my house in which I completely sulked....

I did shout out to Liev while he was signing my friends playbill "You're the best Shakespeare actor I have ever seen" He said "Oh thanks" And I joked and said "Well you're the only one" He just laughed and said "That'll do it" Some people gave me a look like I was really rude but I think he knew I was just joshing.

I didn't seeor rather hear any of the mic problems I read about from the first night. One thing I hadn't thought about was the bug problem. The lights cause all these bugs to gather and I'm sure that's not pleasant on stage. JE had a few very quick costume changes and I gave her props for that... There is random stage debris on teh
sides which was completely useless and when i read it does block the view - it is really dumb. The actors never go over there because of it, but since i was center stage I didn't really care.

I think I will try to go again in July or maybe just stop by one night and try again for an autograph - I would feel bad taking someone seat who hasn't seen it. Maybe it was circumstances why she didn't come out. They were filming Spiderman 3 in the Park literally right by the theater so maybe her mom was there or something. Still I had
anticipated it for so long I couldn't help but be crushed...

I took some pictures for you to get a feel for what waiting was like. I didn't take a picture in the theater - def too scared to get kicked out. But I know someone who did - I'll try to get that pic for you - see what the stage as like. But yeah I was kinda pissed that I didn't get a pic/autograph but eh that's life... I got to see the
show!! Wonder what she'll do after this... oh and why the heck would she shave her head if she had to wear a wig for the show.... very interesting. I really wanted to see that hair cut up close...

No comments: