Saturday, March 11, 2006

This time it's "Kairali"

According to New Wind Press, the film is also called "Kairali"

From Sify Movies

Santosh Sivan, whose last directorial project `Navrasa' was in Tamil, is now shooting an intriguing film in his home state Kerala . The movie is called `Keral'.
Speaking from a remote area of the green valley, Rahul reveals, "It's produced by a very respectable Hollywood company called Echolake who have just produced Deepa Mehta's Water. It's written by an American called Cathy Rabin . It's set in pre-Independence day, though the period isn't the plot's point. But yes, it's my first period film.So far I've been offered urbane characters only."

Rahul plays a village guy who's educated in English and wants to bring changes into his village. "It's a very interesting take on cross-culturalism. My character joins hands with a British planter. He believes this collaboration can bring changes in his village. At the same time the Freedom Movement has started. So he becomed conflicted between heart and head, patriotism and progress."

After the peripheral but poignant role in Aparna Sen's `15 Park Avenue' it's a an author-backed central role for Rahul in `Keral'. Though Rahul refuses to reveal more, the film has four key British characters . These roles are being played by well-known actors from England.

"I can't reveal their names. But Nandita Das, who plays a girl from my village, is my co-star."

Rahul left for Kerala last week . "I had been in preparation for a month. I'm shooting from 2 Jan to 15 Feb. So I'm in Kerala for seven weeks. Keral gives me one of the most sensitive roles I've been offered. They auditioned several actors across the world. For some reason they though I had the best understanding of the character."

From Glamsham
Back home the actor is totally charged about Santosh Sivan's "Kerala" which he has just completed. "From the camerawork to the art direction to the performances by both the Indian and international actors... this film smells of being an achievement of some substance."

And a witty comment from Mr Bose...
Rahul pauses to consider the honour. "'Kaalpurush' has come a logical step forward by being in Berlin. It was earlier screened at the Toronto film festival."

And what will Rahul wear in Berlin for the Feb 9-19 festival?

"I think I'll wear some clothes," he ponders at his own deadpan wit.

No comments: